Sunday, January 21, 2018

2018 Project - Mike's Hat

My hubby asked for a beanie last year to put under his bicycle helmet. I obliged and he has, on occasion, commented on how many 'holes' it has. He means he's not a fan of the spaces between double crochet stitches. Since the idea was for it to warm his head, but let it breathe, and still fit snuggly under his helmet; I did as he had asked.

However, for just a winter hat, it won't do. He wanted something more substantial. So after some practice and him watching others get winter hats, I finally got around to his.


This is made with yarn from Premier yarns: Serenity Chunky and the color is Stormy. It's a really cool color combination.

I borrowed various patterns for ideas for this. First, I like to have a 'trim' to make it look finished, something in a color found in the main yarn. The brim is ribbed. His head measured 23 inches around, but with this chunky yarn, that was too big and stretchy. I believe this measured a circumference of about 18" when it was done. These are all single crochet stitches.

The 'head' of the hat is a combination of stitches.
   Row 1: Single crochet (SC) around 
   Rows 2 & 3: Ribbed stitch (SC around)
   Rows 4-5: Half Double Crochet stitch (HDC)
   Rows 6-7: HDC decrease
   Rows 8-end: SC decrease
   Finish: Sewed the remaining together and tied it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment